Criminal Law Firm in Bass River
If you are arrested or charged with a crime, it is normal to be confused and frightened. Your actions after the fact may have an influence the final result of your case, so it is important to know what to do if you are arrested or charged with a crime.
First, you should know your rights.
- You are not obligated to consent to a search of your person, your residence, or your automobile if asked. A law enforcement officer may have a legal right to carry out a search without your consent, for example when he has a search warrant or another legal basis, but if an officer requests permission to search your automobile or home, you may refuse.
- Do not argue or resist a law enforcement officer if he insists on conducting a search. Don’t forget to tell your attorney about the circumstances surrounding a search.
- You are not required to answer any questions after being arrested or accused of a crime. Do not give a statement or talk to anyone without your attorney present. The police are obligated to read you your rights if you are under arrest. If this is not done, make sure to let your lawyer know.
- Everything you post on social media may be accessed by the police or prosecuting lawyer, and may be used against you. Even a seemingly innocuous post may come back to haunt you later.
- Call an attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you retain a competent lawyer, the sooner he can get to work for you.
- You should never try to hide any relevant information from your lawyer. Your lawyer requires as much information as possible to do his job. Anything you say will be kept confidential.
Bass River Criminal Defense Lawyer
A good criminal defense lawyer will be working for you long before your case goes to trial. Criminal cases are frequently dismissed due to improper procedures on the part of police officers or incorrect handling of important evidence. Pre-trial motions can lead to the reduction of a charge, or even dismissal of all charges.
Most criminal cases never go to trial. In a lot of cases, a criminal defendant can plead guilty to a much less serious charge. Your attorney can discuss your choices and work out a strategy that is best for you.
A criminal record can impact your life in many ways. It may be possible to have your criminal record expunged. If you can get a criminal conviction expunged, it will be as though it never existed. Look for a lawyer that has specific expertise dealing with expungement requests.
Criminal Defense Attorneys Near Me
Selecting the right lawyer is the most important decision you will make. A criminal conviction is able to have serious consequences. Make sure your lawyer is a criminal defense expert. Tim Wintrode has many years’ experience, both as a prosecutor and as a criminal defense lawyer, and can use that experience to get the best possible result for you. Call today for a free consultation – (609) 294-8300.