Criminal Law Firm in Free Hold Township
Being arrested for or charged with a crime can be frightening. Anything you say or do might have an impact on your case, so you should know your rights.
- You are not obligated to consent to a search of your person, your dwelling, or your vehicle if asked. A law enforcement officer may have a legal right to carry out a search without your consent, such as when he has a search warrant or some other legal grounds, but if an officer requests your consent to search your vehicle or home, you may refuse.
- A police officer may believe he has a legal right to conduct a search even though you disagree. The question of whether the search was proper can be determined later in court.
- You are not obligated to answer any questions after being arrested or accused of a crime. Do not give a statement or talk to anyone without your attorney present.
- You should be informed of your rights if you are arrested or detained. Make sure to tell your lawyer if this does not happen.
- Avoid the temptation to share your experience on social media sites. Whatever you post can be used in court. Something you may consider unimportant or unimportant could end up harming you.
- Do not hesitate to consult with an attorney. Waiting too long could make things more difficult in the future.
- Make sure to tell your attorney everything. Make sure your lawyer knows everything about your case. He cannot effectively represent you if he is missing important information. All communications between a lawyer and a client are protected and confidential.
Free Hold Township Criminal Defense Lawyer
A good criminal defense lawyer will be working for you long before your case goes to trial. Often, cases are dismissed well before trial due to unlawful searches, improper handling of evidence, or other technical matters. Pre-trial motions can result in the reduction of a charge, or even complete dismissal of all charges.
Criminal charges are also frequently dismissed or reduced as part of a plea bargain. A plea bargain is an arrangement in which the prosecution reduces the charges or proposes an agreed penalty when a defendant agrees to plead guilty. Every case is different. Working with your lawyer, you can decide the optimal strategy for your circumstances.
A criminal record can affect your life in many ways. It might be possible to have your criminal record expunged. Expungement means that the record of your conviction is erased, as though it never happened. Look for a lawyer that has specific expertise handling expungement requests.
Criminal Defense Attorneys Near Me
The most important decision you will make if you are accused of a crime is the choice of your lawyer. Experience counts, especially when the stakes are high when your liberty and your future is on the line. Call the office of Pepe & Wintrode at (609) 294-8300 for a free consultation, and know that you are in good hands.