Sea Isle City Legal Reps for Criminal Defense
If you are arrested or charged with a criminal offense, it is natural to be confused and scared. Most people don’t know their rights or what they ought to do if they are facing criminal charges.
- First, a law enforcement officer may request permission to conduct a search of your house, vehicle, or even your body. You are not required to consent to a search. You may legally refuse permission for a search unless the police officer has a search warrant or some other legal grounds.
- If a police officer conducts a search without asking, or over your objection, do not argue or resist. Just make certain to tell your attorney about it afterwards.
- If you are under arrest or have been charged with a crime, you may not be obligated to give any statements or answer any questions. Do not give a statement or talk to anyone without your lawyer present.
- You have a right to be informed of your rights if you are arrested. If you are not notified of your rights, make sure to tell your lawyer.
- Do not publish any statements on social media about the crime. Everything you post could be used against you. Something you may consider insignificant or unimportant could end up harming you.
- Call an attorney right away. The sooner you retain a competent lawyer, the sooner he can get to work for you.
- Make sure to tell your attorney everything. See to it that your attorney knows everything about your case. He cannot properly represent you if he is missing important information. All communications between a lawyer and a client are protected and private.
Criminal Law in Sea Isle City
A lot of a criminal defense attorney’s work is done well before a case gets to trial. Criminal cases are frequently dismissed as a result of improper procedures on the part of law enforcement officers or improper handling of critical evidence
The majority of criminal cases do not go to trial. The charges are often dismissed or reduced as part of a plea bargain. A plea bargain is an arrangement in which the prosecution reduces the charges or recommends an agreed penalty when a defendant agrees to plead guilty. There can be many reasons to accept a plea bargain, and it is up to each individual and his lawyer to decide whether such a decision is appropriate.
If you have been convicted of a crime and have successfully completed all conditions of your sentence, including any jail time, probation, community service and/ or restitution, you may be a candidate for expungement. Once a criminal conviction is expunged, it will not show up on a criminal background check. Just as you should not face a criminal charge without an attorney, you should seek the advice of a qualified attorney to handle the expungement process.
Criminal Defense Law Firm Near Me
Picking the right lawyer is the most important decision you will make. Experience counts, particularly when the stakes are high when your freedom and your future is on the line. Lawyer Tim Wintrode has many years’ experience, both as a prosecutor and as a criminal defense lawyer. Call today for a free consultation – (609) 294-8300.